Monday, November 2, 2020

To you, Tat!

This poem is for a powerful woman in Louisiana. Her name is Arizola Spears and she is 92 years old. Throughout her life she always fought for civil rights and the right to vote for all. She had contracted COVID-19 a few weeks ago. But you know what, not only she conquered the virus, she went ahead and voted in these very important presidential elections in the United States. If she, at 92 after surviving corona virus, is not tired, how can we? Her grit and grace inspires all around her and everyone that hears of her and what she has achieved! 


Mrs. Arizola Spears


I hardly know you,
And we have never met
Yet you inspire every bit of my being,
Ever beautiful, Tat!

I had heard of your strength,
Your sophisticated style,
Your hard earned stature in the society,
And even in the storms, that resilient smile!

I am in awe as I learn,
the depth of your strength,
the grandeur of your style,
Your endurance and its length!

Not even COVID-19 could stop you,
You conquered the virus with elegance,
And cast your vote at 92 years,
To defeat the systemic arrogance! 

Know your daughters and granddaughters

and even strangers like me,

Are invigorated and awakened,

By your words, actions, and energy!


Thank you, Tat!


If you'd like to listen to the post, click on this link

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not OK

I am writing this on behalf of thousands of people, particularly the humanitarian workers around the world, who are not perfectly ok. Many o...