Sunday, August 26, 2012

Be Quiet and Sit Down

Be quiet and sit down! We have heard this instruction/phrase several times in our lives, especially if we grew up in a country like India. Apparently, this is not only a mother's frequent instruction to her children but also almighty's request to the whole humanity. Obviously, sitting down doesn't really mean forever but to quit from the restlessness be still for a while.

Recently, a lovely couple visited us and after a simple vegetarian meal, we sat down to chat. Sometimes, conversations here include the increasing drug problems in Puerto Rico and how we need to be careful with our youth. And because I have a 12 year old son, I easily get worried with new database.

However, if you hang out with the right people, any conversation finds a positive direction. Our guests follow the Radha Swami tradition and they shared a simple teaching of their spiritual master, 'Be quiet  and sit down'. Their master says that everybody has a light inside their soul which is a source of peace no matter what the external situation may be. To be able to see it, one needs to take time out from all the distractions in and around us and focus. We can do it by meditating on our own beliefs and values regardless of what religion/tradition we follow.

When Daksh, our friend, was explaining the teaching to us, I teared up because I had seen that same light several times and it had the same effect on me. The only difference was that I started seeing that light first in a small church in India. I still see it when I focus on how wonderful God has been to me and all His blessings for us.

It was awesome, somebody from a different religion was talking about exactly the same end product. It was like, one more time, God telling me, 'I am beyond any religious tradition. No religion owns me. I am able to reach out to anybody, no matter what language, term and way they use to call me.'!

My dear friends, no matter where you are and what your background is, your're entitled to your light and inner peace. All you need to do is to make the effort… I leave you today with my prayer to the almighty that He helps you in the process…

ऐ खुदा, आम आदमी को बना दे ख़ास,
तेरा हर बन्दा अपनी अजमत पे कर सके नाज़,
हर एक लिये है अपने हिस्से का नूर ,
खोल दे ये दिलवालों पे राज़



1 comment:

  1. I must thank you for the efforts you've put in writing this blog. I'm hoping to check
    out the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as
    well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has
    encouraged me to get my very own blog now ;)
    Also visit my website :: check this out

    ReplyDelete

I am not OK

I am writing this on behalf of thousands of people, particularly the humanitarian workers around the world, who are not perfectly ok. Many o...