Saturday, November 20, 2010

What about you?

Experiences are integral part of life. Everyday we experience a variety of situations and feelings. We have professional and personal experiences which can be further categorized into good and bad experiences. Needless to say, good experiences give a boost to our lives while bad ones discourage us.

Now, please carefully read the last line... 'good experiences give a boost to our lives while bad ones discourage us'. It sounds almost perfect in the first read but this sentence has something fundamentally wrong with it. 

Should experiences be given the right to dictate how we feel? I understand that we can't always resist the physical impact of an experience but we can still protect our psychological state. The question is, if we fall down, we may break our knee but should that also break our determination? 

It is understandable that a rapist deserves arduous punishment but should the person who was raped feel like a victim for the rest of his/her life? For those of us who feel sorry about their lives for being a victim of bad experience/s, I would urge them to focus on lives of those people who have turned bad experiences into foundations of strength and determination. 

Experiences do not dictate how I feel but it is 'I' who decide how I want an experiences to affect my life. I am not a victim, I am a survivor. Violence will not cause me to be violent because I have decided to be peaceful. What about you?

1 comment:

  1. Prudence has been astutely underlined in your post. Of course victim has a choice of living a life of respect including self-respect. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I am not OK

I am writing this on behalf of thousands of people, particularly the humanitarian workers around the world, who are not perfectly ok. Many o...